Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Empty subways

I finally managed to get a spot against the end of a subway car on the way home last night.  This is important for a few reasons when it comes to taking pictures.  One, you want to be able to show the entire car which you can't really do if you're standing in the middle of it.  Two, with your back to a wall, no one can see that you're taking a picture of a train full of complete strangers.

This is actually a fairly empty car for a commute run.  I left work a bit late last night, but on a normal night you would literally cram another 25 - 30 people into this picture.  There are a dozen train lines leaving Shibuya, each of them sending a train out every 4 or 5 minutes at the slowest, and most every one of them will be absolutely stuffed to the gills for about 30 minutes on each end of the working day.  This morning, I was jammed into a car so tight that I could feel the people around me breathing.  Not that I could feel their breath, but I could actually feel their chests expanding and contracting.  There were guys on the station platforms helping push people in to the trains, and then helping shove the doors closed so we could leave.  On the plus side, you will never have to worry about falling over as there is simply no room.  I'm just happy that I will never have to stand there with my face buried in someones back like all the 5ft tall Japanese girls do.

No comments: